If you choose PS3, then pay attention to the version of the current firmware was lower than 3.56, ie, the maximum 3.55, this console hack is not a problem(no need for any hardware and additional cost), more precisely, with this handle even a preschooler.
If you get a console with firmware higher than 3.55, at the moment they also hacked, but it will take some material costs(about $50 + shipping) and at worst the work of a soldering iron.
About the subject, we have to work, we often bring to the office their consoles to at lunch to play MK9, so we can compare consoles with the point of view of the consumer.
1. The presence of a BlueRay drive(xbox dvd).
2. Cleaning system dust(in a special mode it can blow out all the dust, that it is generally not necessary to disassemble).
3. The presence of wifi.
4. Has game exclusives such as God of War(if you take the PS3 should definitely play this game on the xbox such is practically none).
5. Controllers are charged via a simple usb cable/mini USB(xbox uses its connector, I don't know where to find these wires, if they eats dog).
6. On the controller works fine cross, which is very important for the game in the fighting game series Mortal Kombat. On the Xbox the d-pad is made as a stick, just a different overlay, so in fighting games very often, you can load to jump or Crouch, this problem is solved by purchase special controllers from Razer at a price of 1500 rubles apiece, there is this disadvantage is eliminated.
1. Massive and well lying in the hand controllers.
2. More convenient housing.
3. Less noise(at least in my opinion).
Actually consoles are very identical consumer qualities, but in the case of the ps3 it seems much more thoughtful, at least I don't know what it is possible to cling, the technical implementation of it is perfect.